Saturday, October 25, 2014

closed mind







Nancy Rourke was born deaf. She started painting at the age of six. She completed her education in an oral program in a hearing school. She is a trained graphic designer and worked with Microsoft Corporation designing Windows icons.After being laid off the job suddenly she once again picked up painting. She got involved with De’VIA art movement in 2010. In her own words she says, “I had discovered my passion. I waited so long to start painting Deaf Art.  I put off wanting to express my past experiences by audism and oppression from the realm of Oralism". Deaf Art, in other word, De’VIA is a movement for Deaf Art, De’VIA stands for Deaf View Image Art. The art movement was established in 1989 by nine Deaf artists. She has received an award from Puffin Foundation to study, through painting Deaf hood, Deaf culture, audism, Deaf history, Deaf politics, American Sign Language and bilingualism.

credits:

No comments:

Post a Comment