Wednesday, November 5, 2014

contentment






The sculpture Contentment (1974, 206 cm x 229 cm x 92 cm, ciment fondu) by Singaporean sculptor Ng Eng Teng at the entrance of the National University of Singapore Cultural Centre on its Kent Ridge Campus. (206 x 259 x 92 cm)

Ng Eng Teng (12 July 1934 – 4 November 2001), The Grandfather of Singapore Sculpture was a sculptor in Singapore known for his figurative sculptures, many of which are found in public locations around Singapore. 


"Humanity, yes, life itself is my main inspiration. All along I've been working on figures, human beings, the good and bad side of life, the achievements and downfall of mankind. The thought of losing life and wasting one's life is urgent in my mind. While we have life, we must treasure it."
"A person assumes the form of a body, with enclosed emotions. Body movements interpret emotions. The structure of the body is a very powerful symbol of emotion and feeling; I am fascinated by the immense potential in the use of the figure."

"My main purpose in life is to be happy, healthy and artistically productive. As for art, it is not what I have to do, but rather, what I feel I have to and want to do. It is basically to create, visualise my emotions and my thinking, sharing these ideas and productions with others. When I get into my studio, a piece of clay will do wonders and soon I feel free and forget myself, unpleasant things forgotten, ideas flow into forms and thoughts tam into shapes with material. I have recalled a number of reactions of viewers to my works; these responses to forms and images demonstrate that there is contact and communication between my works and viewers; this gives me joy and satisfaction. "

(excerpts from: Arts and Thoughts: Conversation between Ng Eng Teng and T.K. Sabapathy)




No comments:

Post a Comment